Due to advancement in technology, air conditioners are more efficient, quiet, easier to use and power consumption friendly. Moreover, maintenance is quite easy as well. Below are the general types of air conditioner, together with their merits and demerits.
1. Window Mounted
One of the greatest common types of AC is the window-mounted ACs that is temporarily slide into a window that has double hung to open. These units are available in two forms which are; the cooling only AC and the cooling/heating unit. All these devices offer their advantages and are used in different location or area.
The Window Mounted Merits
- They are easy to install
- They use existing electrical wiring in your home
- They are very affordable
The Window Mounted Demerits
- They are typically designed for double-hung windows only
- If you live in the north, it is advisable to remove the unit at the end of the season
The cost range differs and with less than $200 you could get a cooling for a 100 square-foot room and $400 for cooling a maximum of 500 square foot room. You could step up to an $800 model to pick up a unit with a capacity of cooling or heating a 900 square foot room.
2. Wall-Mount Air Conditioners
These are types of air conditioners that are permanently mounted to a wall by attaching them with a metal sleeve to the wall. The air conditioner chassis will be slide onto the metal sleeve. These AC are also available in cooling only and cooling/heating varieties.
Wall-Mount AC Merits
- They are easy to repair and replace
- No storage is required
- They fit more securely compared to window units
- Aesthetically appealing
- They save space
Wall-Mount AC Demerits
- Installation can be costly (since an opening must be cut through the wall and installation of special power lines)
The cost of this AC ranges from $400 to $700. Moreover, the more the air conditioner costs, the powerful it is to handle large rooms.
3. The Window/Wall-Mounted Air Conditioner
This is a versatile type of air conditioner, which can be temporarily installed in a window or permanently mounted on the wall.
- The best if you are living in a rental house
- Or if you want to install it in your home later
- They do not come with window installation kits
- You may need to install a 220-volt circuit depending on the type of plug and amperage.
The cost of this product does also vary. However, the price is about the same as the wall mounted models.
4. Portable Air Conditioners
This type of air conditioner is mobile, and it can be moved to any place in the room. They have wheels that can be rolled from room to room. It includes a tube to direct heat out of the window or through an opening in a wall.
Portable AC Merits
- Very easy to store at the end of season
- It’s flexible
- Power efficiency
Portable AC Demerits
- It is slightly expensive compared to window units
- It takes floor space
- The exhaust unit has to be installed every time it is in use as well as when moved
The cost of this wonderful product ranges from $700 to $1000. The cost is affected by several factors. Apart from its features, the size of the room that it can handle does also affect its price.